Friday, February 8, 2013

Safe Haven

I recently just finished Nicholas Spark's Novel Safe Haven and just in time for when the film adaptation comes out on Valentines Day. I thought it was a great book. I can't wait to see the movie, especially because Josh Duhamel plays the main character, Alex-- hunk!

It was such an easy read, and was hard to put down. This might surprise most ladies reading, but this was my first Nicholas Sparks novel that I have ever read. Shocking, I know! I'm a sap for romance and I honestly can't wait to go buy another one. Maybe I'll actually read the Notebook instead of watch the movie next time?

Did any of you read Safe Haven?




Nicholas Sparks includes a reading group guide, so I thought I'd post the questions and see what you think? If you read it of course. . . 


1. When Alex first meets Katie, he sense that she is in trouble. How does he figure out what has happened to her?

2. What is the nature of Jo and Katie's relationship? How does Jo's profession play into their friendship? How does Jo help Katie adjust to her life in Southport?

3. What role do Alex's children play in the development of his relationship with Katie?

4. Katie and Alex fall in love very quickly. What draws them together? Have you ever fallen in love so quickly? If not, do you think it's possible?

5. On their first date, Alex says to Katie, "Everyone has a past, but that's just it-- it's in the past. You can learn from it, but you can't change it." Do you agree with him? Is it possible to truly put the past behind you?

6. Alex is a widower who has had to raise two children on his own. How has he dealt with his grief in the years since his wife passed away? How has his need to respond to his young children's grief of this magnitude in our own life? How did you handle it?

7. When Katie tells Alex about Kevin, she says, "I hate him, but I hate myself, too." Why does she feel this way? How does Katie change as she spends more time in Southport?

8. Despite his violent behavior and his incessant drinking, Kevin quotes the Bible constantly and takes the Ten Commandments seriously. How do you understand his behavior?

9. Katie's past puts Alex and his family in potential danger. Do you think it was irresponsible of Alex to involve himself with a woman he knew could endanger him and his children?

10. Why do you think the author chose to write a portion of the book from Kevin's perspective? Do you have any sympathy for Kevin? Why or why not?

11. Did reading this book give you a better understanding of domestic abuse?

12. At the end of the novel, Alex tells Katie he is sorry for her loss. What does he mean by this? How does Katie react?

13. What do you make of Katie's discovery at the end of the novel. Do you find the book's ending believable?

14. This novel is in large part about safety and trust and how we often take these two things for granted. Did this book make you think differently about your own life and the things that you value?

Any good reads you'd like to recommend?

Have a great weekend. . .

XO

Anna

4 comments:

  1. I actually saw The Notebook movie and then I read the book afterwards and I have to say, I really didn't like the book as much. It was the only time that's ever really happened! Safe Haven looks great!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this movie is just as good, but you're right-- it never really happens that the movie live up to the book! I'm thinking a I might need to read the book (I've seen the movie at least 20 times!)

      Happy Friday XO

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read Safe Haven, glad to hear you liked it. I too have never read a nicholas sparks novel, well I have read part of one. I need to read his stuff more cause I always love the movies. Nothing beats Notebook yet. Such a great movie!

    love from NYC,

    Taylor
    taylormorgandesign.blogspot.com
    Shop Taylor Morgan Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great book and I hope the movie is just as good. . . obviously I can't say the storyline is as good as the Notebook!

      Thanks for stopping by. . .
      XO

      Delete