Saturday, February 2, 2013

1001 Paintings You Must See

Life goals . . .

Everyone has them, whether they are to be happy or successful or healthy.
 I have a bunch of these 'life goals' & I'm going to share [a fun] one with you!


 I bought this book about four years ago. It includes, as the title says, 1001 paintings you must see before you die. What a fun thing to try to achieve right? I love art. Always have. As you may have noticed, I study art history.

I've seen 91 of the 1001 suggested, which is about 9%!

Most that I've seen are from the National Gallery in London, and the National Gallery in D.C.

The paintings that I am really itching to see are through out Italy. One day. . .

Here are some of my favorites on the list that I've seen in person, and I've picked popular ones that maybe you have seen an image of somewhere, too.








What are some fun life goals that you have?
What's your favorite painting?

Thanks for reading!

XO

Anna

P.S. It's been exactly two years today since my dear Uncle Daryl departed. 
He and I shared this passion together, and we've seen almost all of these pieces together.
Psalms 23:4

11 comments:

  1. Mom, please try to log out of my name. It looks like I'm commenting on my own blog lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson Pollock's Lavender Mist ... has a whole new meaning to me now. I'm looking forward to seeing it again, hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad. . . It's a surreal experience being in front of it & I hope you get the chance to make it over the NGA soon!

      Delete
  3. Renoir's "The Umbrellas" uses a very monochromatic palette with low value coloring. The high value coloring of the woman's face on the left side of the painting draws focus to her. She has a very calm, serene expression which translates into the rest of the work. -Anne Gillen, AH section #106

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I agree. . . It is very monochromatic with uses of cool colors such as the deep blue. Full points awarded, thanks for participating!

      Delete
  4. "Bathers at Asnieres" by Seurat is a very simple looking painting and makes it look very 2D by how smooth the painting looks and how flat the people look. It also doesnt show the facial expression of the people very well and makes them look unrealistic. Also as the painting goes out into the background the colors get darker and darker. -Haely Enot, AH section #111

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pointillism was able to crate illusionistic effect as a whole, but detail is difficult to render, as you have pointed out in the facial expressions. . . Nice job Haely, thanks for participating! (Full points awarded!)

      Delete
  5. Renoir's "The Umbrellas" uses the color blue to add to the cool, rainy feeling of the piece. It also pulls out the yellow color in the bonnet of the woman on the right side of the picture, which brings me to the second point -- the little girl on the right. She is the only girl who is looking directly at the viewer instead of blending into the background like the other women. She, along with the woman with no umbrella and the woman with the yellow bonnet symbolize freedom. - Hannah Ticoras AH Section 112

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Hannah, the use of the color blue as a majority of Renoir's palette for the painting certainly adds to the idea of it raining in the piece. Full points awarded, good job & thanks for participating!

      Delete
  6. I have seen a lot of this work but it was really interesting seeing what some of your favorite pieces are. I was most drawn to The Sunflowers by Van Gogh. I like his use of brush strokes and fresco texture. You can feel the texture when you look at his piece. Knowing some of his background, I can see how people saying he started to see things with a yellowish tint is completely accurate.

    Aubrey Jackson 112

    ReplyDelete